Friday, April 10, 2009

The right way to edit a PDF in Illustrator CS3 Tutorial

Read this tutorial
http://www.graphic-design-employment.com/how-to-edit-pdf.html

Basically, in Acrobat, show your Advanced Editing palette, select the 'TouchUp Object' tool right click or control click on your document and go Edit Page, which opens the temporary file in Illustrator and do your edits. No importing, exporting, saving as etc etc.

I found this very useful because the PDF I wanted to edit had extra bleed and crop areas around it, (not visible in Acrobat) but visible in Illustrator, when you go just File>Open the PDF and edit it that way in Illustrator. But, when you save it, Acrobat now shows the bleed and crop which isnt what I want. Sure, I could probably just move the Illustrator artboard in a bit, and when you save back as a PDF I think CS3 automatically crops to the artboard size. But, that would require fiddling around with the artboard size, realigning the artwork, its just a hassle and Id prefer to alter the original file as little as possible, I dont want to have to think about crop areas and read up about all that just to make a few text changes to a document.